Pages

Apr 29, 2011

Formal Elements and Their Design--Essay and Conclusion









The text book elaborates on some aspects regarding my question "How does the arrangement of the formal elements and their design make or break a good picture idea?"



The text book gives an understanding on key terms such as : balance; emphasis and focal point; scale and proportion; repetition and rhythm; unity and variety.



Balance is described in the text is a design principle referring to the even distribution of weight in a composition. This principle allow the artist the ability to "set" a visual balance by the means of 3 forms: symmetrical, asymmetric or radial.



The emphasis and focal point, scale and proportion, repetition and rhythm and unity and variety are all used or introduced at the artist's discretion to create a unique piece of work.



In my reading and viewings of various art pieces regarding this topic, I agree that there has to be some form of "guide" to coincide with a creation of art. Not neccessarily to control the thought of the artist but to assist with the process of creativity. The information stated in the text is concise and to the point therefore I agree with the information. The author describes each formal element in terms to which anyone can read with an understanding about with is being said and give examples of art with each. This topic in my opinion is very vast in that it would take more than the allotted timeframe to fully grasp the interest.


The two pieces of art I have selected for my essay will be introduced in class. The visual elements of each touch on several aspects of the formal elements and their design as described in the text.


The first piece of art entitled "The Dominance of Man" would tell the world to stop all of its destructive ways because we have to share all that is around us and that catastrophy is inevitable to the human race due to selfishness and the need to dominate.



The second piece of art entitled "Nostalgic" would suggest a longing for a time when the passion between a man and a woman defied all. It produced a bond that no one or no thing could come destroy.



Conclusion


My conclusion is brief due to the fact that there were not any found differences between the references in answering my posed question on this topic

5 comments:

  1. Nassiratou KanazoeMay 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM

    hello Jennifer, I think your images are very detailed and I like it since i am writting about design. I think that details are an important part of design because it make the painting more realistic. just to make it clear, is this your literature review or the actual essay body?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand the first image at all. Maybe it is quite abstract. I wish I can understand it clearly in your introduction in class. Thank you.
    Thu Ton

    ReplyDelete
  3. jennifer abbott-popeMay 4, 2011 at 4:41 AM

    Hi Nassiratou, this is the essay body. I already did the literature review which should show under this posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. jennifer abbott-popeMay 4, 2011 at 4:42 AM

    Hi Thu, I hope I can give accommodate your request in class as you stated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not get any sense of men dominance over women on these pictures above. I think your position on that issue is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.