Pages

Apr 9, 2011

Art and politics

I was reading the section about arts and politics and I think that this is a very interesting topic to discuss. I also read other books from the campus library and I found some information about the topic. I read a book called " From Arts to Politics". In my essay I will explore the following question.:
" How has the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA- founded in 1967 by the Congress) influenced on how people appreciate the value of art created in public spaces?"

I think that this topic is not common and that is why I decided to write about it. This question will help me to understand that people have changed the way they appreciate art and that the government has played an important role in this issue. I think that creating a society with good education about arts is very important for the future of this country.
While I was reading the book, I found so interesting how the government required 1 percent of the cost of new public buildings to be dedicated to enhance their public spaces with pieces of art. I think that this was a very smart decision because in my opinion one of the responsabilities of the government is to increase the education of the people, and this include art and culture. Art is part of our idiosincrasy (characteristics of our culture and our country), and it has to be preserved and valued by the people.
I will go to the public library to find more references about this topic. I will also go to the campus library to find more books.
I expect that they will have different approaches to my question because I think that almost every topic that talks about the government has too many opinions and approaches. This topic has a so much to do with politics, which is a very controversial issue in our society.
Sculpture will be relevant for my question because it is the kind of artwork that is more abundant in public spaces. I think that sculptures are so used in public spaces because they can be made in very big sizes.
I think that the mediun that I will use in my artwork is painting. It looks so interesting and I have never done it, so I want to learn something new.

7 comments:

  1. hello charlie,
    i have always beleived that artistic works, especially images have a stronger impact on population than words. art is a pacific way of expression and artists have used their work so many times to criticize a regime or to educate population. that is why i think that your topic is interresting. here is an article that i have found about art and politics after september 11. I hope it will serve you in writing your essay."Art and Politics after
    September 11:
    Exodus, Intervention or
    Hospitality?"
    Mikkel Bolt Rasmussen. you will find it on hcc libraries database.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kanazoe. Thank you so much. I will read the article to see what I can find. I also think that government plays an important role in arts, but in this country that is a little bit different because US has a democratic government where all citizens have rights to express what they think and feel. Anyways government is always associated with almost everything in society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your reason why you choose this topic," help me to understand that people have changed the way they appreciate art and that the government has played an important role in this issue."
    Also, if you are going to make a artwork(art and politics), i am really expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charlie, thank you for your suggestion but I couldn't read the book because I wasn't able to go to the library. Anyway I like your topic its different than mine in some ways. I'm looking forward to see your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everybody. I just want to say that I did not find so many books that talk about my topic. I found some books about art and politics, but they do not have a lot of information about the National Endowment for the Arts. Anyways I will not change this topic. I think that it is so interesting and I will write about it. If you find some information about my topic, please let me know.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the topic, which you have chosen. I believe that it is relevant and interesting especially at this time. I hope that the Government finds more ways to make life easier for students.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.