Pages

Apr 15, 2011

The Value in Art-Fountain



Before I talk about the value in art, there are some interesting examples. First, an art work sales to ordinary people in the supermarket or exhibit by an auction for entrepreneurs. I believe that will totally different result. Second, when kids use bold colors to draw, adults may say, your painting is too colorful and too bright. However, a famous artist draws similar pictures, and people may say it's a vivid and creative work. The question is who determine the value of art?

I read an art work call “Fountain” worked by Marcel Duchamp from a book named “The Blind Man”, and I think that can be a good example to express the value of art. The book explain Mr. Duchamp makes an art work, Fountain, but he do not really make a “fountain” because it is a urinal. He just sign a named, "R. Mutt"

The key term is from a poem written by Mr. Duchamp, “For some there is no stopping. Most stop or get a style. When they stop they make a convention. That is their end.” It is idea to explain the artwork. Like an idea from Kantian sublime. He said, “A work of art that transcends a form, but that is also intelligible, an object that strikes down an idea while allowing it to spring up stronger.”

It is a definition to understand the value in art. Mr. Duchamp created a new vision to expound the “art work” in the value of art because he made a new art work without a form. For example, when person make a “something”, they need to make something on the “emptiness”. He created a art work, and he also created a "art concept".

If I can, I will use ink and Chinese writing brush to analyze. These are very simple stuff, but it can express deep meaning. If I can not draw something, so I can write words to express. However, it is an “art work”, Chinese calligraphy.
Finally, I have an idea about the value in art. If an object is too ugly to a point that people become interested in this object and start talking about it, then this object can be called an "art" too. From this definition, as long as an object is worth of discussing, no matter positively or negatively, it can be called an "art".

1 comment:

  1. video about the readymades:

    http://community.ovationtv.com/_Art-the-readymade/VIDEO/233398/16878.html


    http://www.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/phil%20of%20art/duchamp.htm

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.