Pages

Apr 8, 2011

Installation art and politics

Installation art uses three dimensional architectural or open natural spaces to impact the viewer's perception of space
while experiencing the art piece. - derives from fact that it is an artwork, not needed. If there is meaning lost, think about what you really tried to say
It uses the architectural repetativespace that the viewers is in, bringing the viewers into the art, pulling them inside. The question that I want to ask is “How do art installations help us confront and process emotionally and politically challenging topics differently than other kinds of art?” This question will help us understand how installations can be used to discuss difficult topics and why it is chosen above other methods. To answer this question I will look at Kara Walker, images from dornob.com... 

One example of politically motivated installation art from our book, is the interesting installation piece Kara Walker's , “Insurrection! (Our tools were rudimentary, Yet we pressed on)” This piece was interesting to me because it surrounds the viewer with stories about slavery in early United States history but because the pictures are cut outs that look like cartoons, the viewer is also somewhat removed from the subject matter.

I am also choosing to will look at examples of installation art and design from the web site http://dornob.com/design/more/. Dornob.com is a commercial site that deals with design and architecture. It will have a different approach to the subject of politics because it is commercial and so anything politically challenging will be secondary to commercial interests. I will spend time viewing any form of politically or and emotionally challenging installation art that uses the environment to help form the experience, such as...

What medium do you chose to learn about and make your artwork with? Note that your decision doesn’t have to be final. (1-3 sentences)
Is this question referring to our final art project for the class? Is this essay supposed to include information about our final project or is it supposed to address the question that we are asking? I am going to an installation piece, if I have the time and the resources to do the project. If not, then I will present poetry.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa - In response to your request for help making your work more concise, I put some editing inside the text - you are welcome to take and reject whatever you want. As far as the other questions, I believe we answered them in class so if things are still unclear you can edit again and add a new question. Hagit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I recommend you to go to the campus library. I found a book called "From art to politics" and it was so good. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Charlie! I am going to take your suggestion.
    lisa

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.