Venus de Milo
Capitoline Venus
Venus of Willendof
Lely VenusThe reference which I use for my topic is video “ How art made the world” .
This episode mentions to Venus of Willendorf with magical things around this statue. The ideas were analyzed to discovery sculptors ‘s messages.
I also read The Venus of Milo of Herman Grimm. It showed up beauty and precise carving on that statue.
Some key terms are usefully for making clearly in my essay:
Harmony – a union or blend of aesthetically compatible component.
Abstraction - imagery which departs from representational accuracy, to a variable range of possible degrees, for some reason other than verisimilitude.
Balance – a principle of design, balance refers to the way the elements of art are arranged to create a feeling of stability in a work.
Proportion – refers to the comparative, proper, or harmonious relationship of one part to another or to the whole with respect to size, quantity, or degree; a ratio.
The different definitions don’t change the understanding of the subject matter which I chose because they increase clearness and knowledge for me analyzing the images of Venus. They help me to have many conceptions in artwork and figure out deepness of ideas which sculptors create statues. I focus the ideas of many individuals after observing and referencing meaning of statues. Their comments reflect affection of Venus to thinking of human. Depending on comments, we can discovery secrets inside artworks of sculptors.
I want to show up four images of four Venus include Venus of Willendof as symbols of fertility or fecundity, Capitoline Venus – goddess attempting to conceal her breasts and pubic area, Venus de Milo – symbol of perfect beauty, and Lely Venus – marble statue of naked Aphrodite crouching.
I choose the image of Venus of Willendof because there is an extraordinary sense of earthy vitality:” she doesn’t impress us as an abstraction, an idea or ideal of the female and the fecund; rather one feels, in spite of facelessness and gross exaggeration, that this is actual woman.”(N.K. Sandars, Prehistoric Art in Europe,1968).
I use images of Venus as example for specific symbol and magic of perfect beauty which that is desirability of ancient person.
Hi Thu. I like your topic and I think that your key terms will help you to better understand it. But I did not understand the term abstraction. Could you please explain it in a more simple way?
ReplyDeleteGood luck.
Hi Charlie, abstraction means the act of considering something as a general quality or characteristic, apart from concrete realities, specific objects, or actual instances.
ReplyDeleteThank for asking me.
Thu Ton