After doing my research in trying to answer the question I presented I came up with pretty clear answers to very broad question. My question what how can the creation of politcial art impact (influence) our political opinions. Some say that we can form a position politically solely based on images. A great example of this is the planes hitting the twin towers, now Bin Laden's dead photo, or historically something like a slave being whipped or during the Holocaust. These images that are so strong have the greatest impact on us being human beings and we can immediatly have a stand on certain issues brought to our attention by these images. To answer my own question in its fullest would take a tremendous amount of time and debate; so my sole simple answer is that it can bring feelings we may have otherwise never had without seeing the certain work (image, documentary, sculpture, etc.). This is pretty evident when talking about the artwork I analyzed, a piece called Wake Up America! This image shows burning oil derricks, a statue of liberty sleeping with pills spilling out of her hand, and graves in the front yard of Capitol Hill. Now this is something most Americans are aware of, all of these problems we have, but there are penty of Americans that do not have a real opinion on these matters. I believe that images like these can make people start to think about some of the issues we have and maybe influence them to do something about it. To me this is a classic example of how political art can impact or influence one's political opinions or stances.
When thinking about what I wanted to do as an artwork I thought immediatley of the military. Being a military member myself my income was almost wiped out by the government's short-comings. Recently there was dispute with labor within the government and military memebrs and government employees were hours away from not being paid for work. There was an extension put on governements discussion and things got resolved. So I wanted to make a piece that brought light to this situation and what could have been. I wanted to create the feeling of the modern military member recently homeless and lost of purpose in life. Now obviously I am only one person so I could not create a mass group like I would like to, nor was I about to disrepect the uniform and go stand on the corner of a real street looking like that. So I simply stood on my balcony with the brick wall behind me in hopes to create a feeling that it could be on the corner of some street with a brick bulding behind me.
nice reflexion cody. I also think there are out there some military people neglected after serving their nation.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your essay. I believe that your question was overall good. Because art is politics. And it's crazy because the world revolve around images.
ReplyDelete