Pages

May 6, 2011

Essay body




Wake Up, America is the artwork I have chosen to analyze and help me answer my question of how can a political art piece influence our opinions politically. I think this picture does a great job illustrating what is wrong with America in the most strongest issues. It shows a life-like Statue of Liberty sleeping with pills spilling (a hit on our medical care and pills for everything), the burning oil derricks in the background , and the graves in the front yard of Capitol Hill. To me this is a strong statement in itself and does not even need the text at the top of the painting. I believe that if someone were to look at this painting and asked what it would say if had text at the top they might answer wake up. With regards to my question I think that this painting can impact an American that may not realize the short-comings of our country and that's what I think the biggest impact political art has. It has the ability to make people thing about things they otherwise may not have and even form opinions based on what they see. When I look at this painting I feel like it speaks the truth and shines light on the dark areas of our countries problems. I do not agree with everything the painting is trying to get across, like the war is strictly over oil and the deaths of military members are on the hands of the suits in the government, even though it is to an extent. The one thing this painting does make me do is to really think about what we are going through as a country and the path we are going down, which is a very powerful tool that political art has. I believe if this painting could speak it would say to us as individual Americans to realize what we are doing as a country and figure out the truth behind it all. Also directed at the government and to be honest with itself its country members, not politically correct. When talking about the visual effects this painting uses to create the feeling sit does I believe is the emphasis with use of colors and placement of the images it chooses. I hope my picture has a lot of the same principles and effects that the painting I choose but in hopes of helping answer my original question I want it bring a matter into light that otherwise may have gone as just a blip on the screen. What I mean is that the government was hours away from not paying is service members for their duties. Can you imagine being in a war zone and your family back home not receiving that income which is probably the main source?

2 comments:

  1. I like the picture are being made and it shows how America is to me. I like how your point of view are describing on the picture.
    Susan Vu

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.