I am going to talk about “words and images”. The following key terms that I will use in my essay and help me to think. Word: a single unit of language which means something and can be spoken or written. Images: A picture of somebody/something seen in a mirror, through a camera, or on a television or computer Calligraphy: The art of producing decorative handwriting or lettering with a pen or brush
Subject matter: the ideas or information contained in a book, speech, painting, etc.
I choose this topic because it is intensely interesting for me. However, this idea would help me
to know art from another way.
First, these ideas give me thinking about art. Art would be a life style, just like drink cup of
coffee, it is include part of art. Second, “picture’ gives people image is very quickly because you
can see. If word with picture that would have different thinking.
Words and Images
Art is a lifestyle, it include everything. Painting is art work. Statue is art work. Cooking is art work too. Therefore, word and image is part of the art. Not only calligraphy can name art. Not only famous image can name art. Everything you can read, and everything you can see. It is art. Just depend how you define.
“Words and images” is important to show how people think and their opinion. Before human being creates character, how did they communicate? They might use picture. However, some pictures you don’t need to describe in words, and then you will just know what it means. (See picture 1) when people see this picture, they will know it means “hush” and “quiet”. Therefore, some word have “picture”, also include another meaning inside. (See picture 2) you can see the logo “FedEx”. It is a “word”, but you also can see an “arrow” between E and x. The reason is “FedEx” not just “FedEx”, it also means “keep going, never stop”. It is a promise with FedEx. In my opinion, when people see the same word at the same time, they will not think about same image. For example, when I see the word “apple”, I would think “iphone”, but some people would think about “ipad”. When I see “mother’, I will think about my mother, for some people they will recall their mother. It is a reason about same word, but it has different picture mirrored their mind.
On another hand, if picture with strange word that would be another thinking. “This is not a pipe”, it means something is not a pipe, but on top of the sentence is a pipe. You see a pipe, but you also see a sentence that tells you it is not a pipe. Which one is correct? A Sentence or a pipe? Compare to the logo “FedEx”. When you know there is an “arrow” between E and x, you will focus this arrow more than the word. In this pipe, when you see the pipe’s picture, you know it is a pipe. When you see the sentence “this is not a pipe”, you may confuse about what you see.



Although it was a bit difficult to decifer the meaning of the context in the essay, after taking my time it was a good read. Advice is to have someone else read over your work because of grammatical errors.**Jennifer Abbott-Pope
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jennifer! I will correct my grammatical errors next time before I turn in it. However, I still glad you can "understand" what I say.
ReplyDeleteLi this was a great explination on how words and images spark different sensations in our minds. One thing about the person with the finger over the lips... this is what's called subject matter, what the image literally depicts, but it doesnt not tell us what the image means. You say it means "hush" or "be quiet" but why? Like the book images of the tree with the image and actual word tree... if this image was in words would it say "hush"?
ReplyDeleteside note- I have seen the FedEx logo my whole life and have never even noticed the arrow unitl you wrote about it and now it is all I can see when I see that logo!
-Cody Skidmore
@Cody: If you see a word, "hush", you would think about a picture like this. However, something what we see alway connect to what we knew already. It is "impressions" in your mind. -Li-
ReplyDeletehi Li
ReplyDeleteI see that you have 1 image that is actually just a word, 1 that is words and an image and 1 that has no words.
So what do you think words add to the image? and the image to the words?
generally speaking
I agree with what you said that everyone thinks something different about the same image or word. I never realized the arrow that was in word FedEx,this shows how everyone see every image in a different way and how some people pay really close attention to images.
ReplyDelete-Cynthia Angel-
I really enjoyed reading your essay. And When you picked the [FEDX] image in class I was curious on how you were going to tie it together. I never seen the arrow in the [fedX] sign until you spoken up on it.
ReplyDeleteInteresting assay to read because you describe a thought process. Good job. It was interesting to read your version of image-words connection as "some words have images in them". What image-word relationship do you think the painting "this is not a pipe" represents?
ReplyDelete