Pages

Mar 6, 2011

Beauty and Perception - Dwan Thompson


When we look at other people, animals, or objects everyone looks at them differently. We let our eyes and emotions take control and sometimes things are perceived differently than others. Our past experiences and places we have been dictates how we would feel about certain things. Things that are beautiful cannot always be seen as beautiful to all people because everyone looks at things in different manners. This is why I chose to look at perception and beauty together.

rupi-8744-Nature-Beauty-nature-ppt-powerpoint-118_88.jpg   (Image 1)
Beauty is defined on many different levels but the one that stood out to me is that beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object, or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure, meaning or satisfaction. It is said that “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. To me this means that not all things are seen as beautiful to others. Just as image 1; to me this is peaceful, colorful, and free. I can see myself in this picture in ways that you may not, only because I perceived it differently.
Perception which is the process through a individual interprets sensory input’s including; sight- the way we perceive an individual by their body languages and a picture by the way it looks. The way we perceive others by their word, smell and taste is all on a scale of perception.  This is all related to how we look at arts and crafts. In a article called “Some thoughts about perception, communication, and disagreement” Allan N. Schwartz states that perception are colored by feelings or emotions and those emotions are often shaped by experiences. He also goes on to say that life is either beautiful or not- it’s all a matter of perception. This is why many react to things that are seen as beautiful because we let our eyes perceive and our emotions take over.
perception.jpg  (Image 2)  perception2.png (Image 3)
Image 2 and 3 are two pictures that I remembered having when I was in grade school. Our art teacher put these in front of us and we were to describe what we saw. Image 2 was seen as either a glass or 2 people and image 3 was seen as either a old woman or young lady. Many of us like myself would rather see things like image 1 because it is nice or beautiful and easier to look at. So perception is how wee look at things and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder which is you.

4 comments:

  1. Are you writing an analysis essay or a compare and contrast on the topics? It is difficult to determine which format you choose and there is no indication of titles for the pieces of art you chose. Please offer more clarity.**Jennifer Abbott-Pope

    ReplyDelete
  2. nassiratou kanazoeMarch 10, 2011 at 7:06 AM

    hello, I enjoyed reading your essay, even if I was not able to see the images. I think that your analysis of beauty is very deep and accurate. I truly beleive that there is no proper definition of beauty because it has different meanings for each person. however I was not able to determine if your essay was an analytical or compare/contrast essay. I suggest that you give this information in your introduction for the reader to be able to give a good critic. generally speaking, you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your opinion, "Beauty is defined on many different levels". This idea can give people many beautiful mind everyday. however, i can not see your pictures.
    you know, I really like your essay. Read you essay just like listen music. " So perception is how wee look at things and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder which is you." how wonderful! -Li-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks u guys both, Im trying to figure out what happend to my pictures now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.