Pages

Mar 6, 2011

- Susan Vu

2

1
In this essay, I have learned how the lines are being made by the artist. I have learned what kind of dimensional shape the picture is and how they are being drawn or done by the artist. I would like to say that I have learned that drawing does not have to have people with clothing on but can be drawn with people that is nude. I did not think that is legal because of the showing of private parts of a male or female.
This image is made from a person name Alberto Giacometti and it is called Man Pointing in 1947. This is a very interesting images to me because the man is pointing at something to his right but they have to visually follow the lines between his fingertips and the objects in question.  Although Alberto Giacometti's sculpture Man Pointing points at nothing specific, his gesture does activate the space around it. Like some traffic officer in the middle of an intersection, he seems to command the viewer's space, even as the almost immaterial thinness of his figure suggests his fragility. For Giacometti, this skeletal figure represents the human condition itself, isolated and alone, and yet, somehow, still managing and willing to communicate with the world around it. Man Pointing was a bronze sculpture.
Man Pointing was made very rapidly for Giacometti's first exhibition in New York. He recalled: I did that piece in one night between midnight and nine the next morning. That is, I'd already done it, but I demolished it and did it all over again because the men from the foundry were coming to take it away. And when they got here, the plaster was still wet. It was originally intended to be part of a larger composition,  with the left arm positioned loosely around a second figure. Giacometti later abandoned the idea, and considered Man Pointing to be a complete work.
image
This image is made by a person name Vincent van Gogh and it is called the Starry Night in 1889. This images looks interesting to me because it is a images of a town and the clouds being smured in and the sun and stars being smured but it looked like it was a windy cold night. Van Gogh paintings are some of the most personally expressive in the history of art. His use of line is loose and free, so much so that it seems almost out of control. It remains consistent enough that it is recognizably van Gough's. It has become autographic. Like a signature his deeply anguish and creative genius works identifies the artist himself.
Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh has risen to the peak of artistic achievements. Although Van Gogh sold only one painting in his life, the aftermath of his work is enormous. Starry Night is one of the most well known images in modern culture as well as being one of the most replicated and sought after prints.

5 comments:

  1. Is this an analysis essay or a compare and contrast**Jennifer Abbott-Pope

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not see your pictures. Just like Jennifer said, is this an analysis or compare/contrast essay? -Li-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan - send me the pics in jpgs and I will post them here
    H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, in most of this essay I hear our author's voice and not yours. Keep your voice clear and if you cite someone make that clear as well.

    These are the only paragraphs in which I heard your voice and they are indeed more interesting:

    In this essay, I have learned how the lines are being made by the artist. I have learned what kind of dimensional shape the picture is and how they are being drawn or done by the artist. I would like to say that I have learned that drawing does not have to have people with clothing on but can be drawn with people that is nude. I did not think that is legal because of the showing of private parts of a male or female.

    This image is made by a person name Vincent van Gogh and it is called the Starry Night in 1889. This images looks interesting to me because it is a images of a town and the clouds being smured in and the sun and stars being smured but it looked like it was a windy cold night.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.