

These are some of the sketches I've done since last class. I've realized in doing these exercises and previous work in the class that my tension when confronted with the "blank paper" eases if I don't worry about where to start, if I use any part as the point of entry: the nose, the lips, the eyes, the contour of the face. Also, I feel freer now about appreciating the self-portrait sketches for what they are, rather than looking for the likeness in them. It'd be nice if I could sketch a face rapidly and have it look like the model, but this may be too premature or may never happen. The most important insight to me so far has been realizing that beautiful and ugly are such imaginary and interchangeable concepts, as drawings that were supposed to represent beauty, ended up being less original, less strong, than those that were supposed to be less attractive.
July 29, 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.